Save money and help your local community and our environment by making one small change each week this month! I am eager to make small shifts in my life to help our local economy and environment. I challenge all willing valley residents to “do the right thing” and choose to make some changes as well. If all willing members in a community make small changes, it can add up to big reductions in local greenhouse gas emissions and big improvements in our economy and the environment. Here are just a few possible ideas for changes:
- Eat a meatless meal once a week.
- Increase your intake of local, organic and bulk foods that are in season.
- Start composting food and garden waste.
- Turn off your car engine if you will be parked for more than 10 seconds.
- Limit cold-weather car idling warmup to a maximum of 30 seconds. Modern car engines don’t require more than 30 seconds even in very cold weather.
- When you need to buy clothing and household items, shop at local thrift stores and consignment shops for used and recycled items.
- Turn your water heater down to 120 degrees.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Unplug your electronic devices when you are not using them.
- Change to LED light bulbs.
Gretchen Basen, Hailey