Eighteen employees of the Blaine County School District plan to retire at the school year’s end, taking with them some 370 years of combined experience when they go.
Eleven of them have more than 20 years on the job—including three with 30 or more: Bellevue Elementary Kitchen Manager Nancy Mayne, with 30; Hemingway STEAM School P.E. teacher Lars Hovey, with 30.5; and the Maintenance Department’s Scott Davis, a 33.5-year veteran who began his career with the district in 1985.
Last year, 20 staff members called it a career—but BCSD Communications Director Heather Crocker expects the number to rise into the future: Close to 40 percent of district teachers are eligible to retire, Crocker told the Idaho Mountain Express.
“We’re just grateful to the staff who has given so much to our students, from the bus drivers to the custodians to the teachers,” Crocker said.
Here’s a full list of employees retiring, according to the School District:
- Scott Davis, administrative assistant, Maintenance, 33.5 years.
- Lars Hovey, physical education teacher, Hemingway STEAM School, 30.5 years.
- Nancy Mayne, food service, Bellevue Elementary School, 30 years.
- Christopher Malmgren, art teacher, Wood River Middle School, 28 years.
- Cathy Schiers, paraprofessional, Hailey Elementary School, 28 years.
- Lynda Mancha, food service, Bellevue Elementary School, 23 years.
- Debi Gutknecht, director of student services, District Office, 22 years.
- Susan King, library media paraprofessional, Wood River High School, 21.5 years
- Jill Clark, science teacher, Wood River Middle School, 21 years.
- Michelle Dion, principal’s secretary, Hemingway STEAM School, 21 years.
- Andrea Jost, principal’s secretary, Alturas Elementary School, 20 years.
- Sharon Boyle, principal’s secretary, Bellevue Elementary School, 19 years.
- Ruben Rivera, systems administrator, Technology Department, 19 years.
- Bette Gower, paraprofessional, Hemingway STEAM School, 19 years.
- Kevin Stark, bus driver, Transportation Department, 17 years.
- Geraldine Maniere, library media specialist, Wood River High School, 14 years.
- Marilyn Baybutt, library media paraprofessional, Hailey Elementary School, 13 years.
- Cheryl Sparks, custodian, Carey School, 11.5 years.