The South Central Public Health District is accepting nominations for Health Heroes 2019. Health Heroes are individuals, groups and businesses that have made a big difference in the health of residents in south-central Idaho.
“These are regular people who go out of their way to help our community,” said Pam Jones, chairwoman of the district’s Health Heroes committee. “Like the teen on your street who got involved in local government to bring us healthier laws. Or, the P.E. teacher who is using personal time to organize field days for the whole community. We call these people Health Heroes because they do so much for our community. This is a chance to recognize their hard work.”
People can nominate a group or person for one of the four nomination categories: Youth, Adult, Corporate and Behavioral Health. The nomination form is available online at phd5.idaho.gov or at one of the district’s five offices.
The nomination form must include a brief description explaining why the nominee deserves the Health Heroes Award. Examples of qualifying activities include:
- Promoting a healthy lifestyle through activities at schools, churches and places of work.
- Activities that help reduce suicides.
- Promoting physical activity.
- Activities that reduce obesity.
- Preparing a community for a disaster.
- Decreasing workplace injuries.
- Promoting policies that led to healthy outcomes.
Nominations are due by April 1. Health Hero Award winners will be honored on May 15 in a short ceremony that will be open to the public.