There will be new champions crowned in each of the five events when the Great Basin Conference 4A prep tennis tourney wraps up a two-day stay at Sun Valley Tennis Club today, Wednesday, May 7.
Cooler temperatures with the possibility of rain are expected for an event hosted by Hailey’s Wood River High School. Matches begin today at 10 a.m. Championship matches are set for 1 p.m.
From the six GBC schools, 24 singles players and 36 doubles teams will be competing this week for qualifying berths in the Idaho High School Activities Association State 4A tournament May 16-17 at Timberline High School in Boise.
The top four singles players and top four doubles teams in each event qualify for state tennis.
Coach Carlos Meza’s Wood River Wolverines have the top-seeded mixed doubles and girls’ doubles teams for the conference tournament. They are juniors Andrew Pearson-Haley Cutler in mixed, and senior Alex Taylor-sophomore Samantha Taylor in girls.
Last year when Twin Falls hosted the GBC tournament, Cutler and Margaret Reutter won girls’ doubles over the Taylor sisters.
They led the Wood River girls to a 63-43 team victory over Twin Falls in the girls’ totals. In boys’ standings, Twin Falls edged Wood River 64-57.
Here are the top seeds in each of the five GBC events:
· Boys’ singles: 1—Cole Hunt, Canyon Ridge sophomore. 2—Brad Pierce, Twin Falls junior. 3—Danny Graves, Wood River sophomore. Also competing is Oskar Wilander, Wood River freshman.
· Girls’ singles: 1—Hailey Orton, Twin Falls senior. 2—Brianna Pope, Burley senior. Also competing are Wood River juniors Megan Murphy and Manuela Cortina-Otero.
· Boys’ doubles: 1—Andy Carter, junior, and Matthew Sato, freshman, Twin Falls. 2—Seniors Stephen Pfeiffer and Andrew Graves, Wood River. Also competing from Wood River are junior Miles Remington and freshman Clay Cutler.
· Girls’ doubles: 1—Alex Taylor, senior, and Samantha Taylor, sophomore, Wood River. 2—Sophomores Kestle Masoner and Stephanie Spackman, Burley. Also competing from Wood River are junior Cheyanne Stopol and sophomore Fernanda Lagunas.
· Mixed doubles: 1—Juniors Andrew Pearson and Haley Cutler, Wood River. 2—Seniors Brandon Hosteen and Kaci Carpenter, Burley. Also competing from Wood River are sophomore Brady Delgadillo and senior Josie Potts.
Last Thursday on “Senior Day,” Wood River won four of six singles matches and five of the six doubles matches in a 9-3 league win over Burley on the Hailey courts.
Danny Graves, Drew Morse, Oskar Wilander and Tayte Kelly won in singles for Wood River. Doubles winners were Stephen Pfeiffer-Andrew Graves, Clay Cutler-Miles Remington, Alex and Sam Taylor, Fernanda Lagunas-Cheyanne Stopol and Andrew Pearson-Haley Cutler.
Meanwhile, the Community School tennis team completed a busy week of matches with a 10-2 home victory over Mountain Home Thursday at Sun Valley Tennis Club.
Coach Phil Huss said, “We had a great meet. Sun was out, 71 degrees and the tennis was stellar. Well done this week across the board.”
The Cutthroats won five of the six singles matches in straight sets with Willis Sanchez-duPont, George Everitt, Olivia Ott, Hannah Conn and Blair Baker. The sixth singles match brought out the best in Henry Everitt, who was his team’s “Player of the Meet” in a 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 loss.
Doubles winners were Dan DuFur-Doug DuFur, Roger Figge-Trenor Gould, Emily Siegel-Sam Busby, Autumn Fluetsch-Isabelle Caraluzzi and Reed Roudabush-Jolie Blair. No. 2 mixed Gavin Blair-Chloe Francois battled into the third set before falling 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
The Cutthroats again host the state-qualifying District 4/5/6 tourney Friday, May 9 at 9 a.m. at Sun Valley Tennis Club.
Results from Thursday’s WRHS-Burley dual meet follow:
WRHS 9, Burley 3
· Boys’ singles: 1—Danny Graves (WR) 6-1, 6-0 over Zeke Contreras (B). 2—Drew Morse (WR) 6-1, 6-1 over Joshua Beck (B). 3—Oskar Wilander (WR) 6-4, 6-0 over Andy Tolman (B).
· Girls’ singles: 1—Brianna Pope (B) 6-4, 6-4 over Megan Murphy (WR). 2—Kaycee Pope (B) 6-2, 6-4 over Manuela Cortina-Otero (WR). 3—Tayte Kelly (WR) 6-0, 6-0 over Crystall Godfrey (B).
· Boys’ doubles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer-Andrew Graves (WR) 6-2, 6-4 over JaxonGreener-Elliot Heiner (B). 2—Miles Remington-Clay Cutler (WR) 6-7, 6-0, 6-0 over Landon Gunnell-Logan Worthington (B).
· Girls’ doubles: 1—Alex Taylor-Tate Morell (WR) 6-0, 6-2 over Kestle Masoner-Stephanie Spackman (B). 2—Fernanda Lagunas-Cheyanne Stopol (WR) 6-1, 6-2 over Aubrey Call-Kaylee Brietweiser (B).
· Mixed doubles: 1—Andrew Pearson-Haley Cutler (WR) 6-3, 6-1 over Brandon Hosteen-Kaci Carpenter (B). 2—Cody Millward-Brooklyn Geary (B) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 over Brady Delgadillo-Josie Potts (WR).