Conditions were typically cold and windy for Idaho early-spring weather Wednesday, but Wood River High School tennis players played with a good level of energy and focus in a series of matches against Minico on the Rupert courts.
Hailey coach Carlos Meza said, “Wood River came away with a very respectable 6-6 tie with a short squad. Despite four team defaults, the Wolverine boys won their side of the draw 4.5 to 1.5 and the girls came up short 4.5 to 1.5.”
Meza said he appreciated strong play from No. 1 player positions Danny Graves (singles), Stephen Pfeiffer and Andrew Graves (boys’ doubles) and mixed doubles Haley Cutler and Andrew Pearson.
He said, “All have established good starts coming back from Spring Break to carry them into the rest of the season. We don’t have a lot depth so having more experienced players back will help.”
Tate Morell played an impressive match, Meza added.
“She had excellent shot selection and execution in her 6-2, 6-0 No. 1 girls’ singles win,” he said. “And Megan Murphy was battling in a tight No. 2 singles match before she had to retire due to back spasms.”
Clay Cutler played a steady and aggressive singles match in the No. 2 boys’ singles spot winning 6-1, 6-2.
Final match of the evening was played in a chilly wind. Meza said that Brady Delgadillo and Chandler Gifford played a smart match, capitalizing on Minico’s serving struggles and playing aggressively at the net to prevail 7-6, 6-4.
“We will match up very well against the other Great Basin Conference teams for the rest of the season,” said Meza. “Though we are a young team, the players work hard and with intensity during practices which will pay big dividends in match play.”
Next: Scheduled to play Twin Falls and the Community School Thursday on the Hailey courts, Wood River will travel to Jerome Tuesday, April for its next meet. Match results from Minico follow:
WoodRiver 6, Minico 6
· Boys’ singles: 1—Danny Graves (WR) 6-1, 6-1 over Fernando Santana (M). 2—Clay Cutler (WR) 6-1, 6-2 over Brenton Kloepfer (M). 3—Minico by default.
· Girls’ singles: 1—Tate Morell (WR) 6-2, 6-0 over Kylee Hale (M). 2—Candace Robbins (M) 6-3, ret. Over Megan Murphy (WR). 3—Clarica Arteaga (M) 6-0, 6-0 over Sophia Coplin (WR).
· Boys’ doubles: 1—Stephen Pfeiffer-Andrew Graves (WR) 6-0, 6-1 over Dalton Robbins-Camden Chandler (m). 2—Brady Delgadillo-Chandler Gifford (WR) 7-6, 6-4 over Trent Kobayashi-Bryce Batista (M).
· Girls’ doubles: 1—Minico by default. 2—Minico by default.
· Mixed doubles: 1—Andy Pearson-Haley Cutler (WR) 6-3, 6-0 over Willem Bradford-Kayleann Hawkes (M). 2—Minico by default.