Ski Club giant slalom is Sunday
The Baldy Cup series continues Sunday, Feb. 16 with a Sun Valley Ski Club giant slalom on the Warm Springs side of Baldy, starting at 10 a.m. Register from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at Warm Springs Lodge. All ages and abilities are welcome.
Boulder Backwards Tour to Galena Lodge Sunday
Cross-country skiers will travel north to Galena Lodge in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area on Sunday, Feb. 16 for the Boulder Backwards Classic Tour, co-sponsored by The Elephant’s Perch of Ketchum.
The 30-kilometer skiers leave by 10 a.m. from the SNRA headquarters building eight miles north of Ketchum, while the 15k skiers start at 11 a.m. from Baker Creek up S.H. 75. The free event is non-competitive in nature. Galena Lodge will offer a special lunch package.
Register at the SNRA start by 10 a.m. Sunday or in advance at the Perch, so organizers know how many are skiing. North Valley Trail passes are required.
Youth baseball clinic on Presidents’ Day
School is out on Presidents’ Day, which is Monday, Feb. 17. So the Wood River High School baseball program led by first-year coach Donnie Green of Hailey is staging a one-day Presidents’ Day baseball clinic open to elementary school and middle school youth. Times are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Coach Green, his staff and players have joined forces with the Wood River Baseball and Softball Association, as well as Sawtooth Baseball. All clinic proceeds go to the high school baseball program and to Hailey’s Founders Field. Cost is $20 per person, including lunch and a camp t-shirt to the first 30 registrants.
To sign up visit sawtoothbaseball.com or wrbsazone.com. Other sponsors are Albertsons and the Blaine County Recreation District.
Update on Colgate runner Paris
Colgate University junior James Paris of Hailey moved up to 18th place on the Patriot League performance list by finishing 10th in the 1000-meter run at the eight-school Upstate Challenge track and field meet Jan. 25 inside Cornell University’s Barton Hall in Ithaca, N.Y. Paris (2:35.59) was less than six seconds off the winning time of Joel Hubbard of Syracuse University (2:29.92).
Join Wood River Youth Wrestling
It’s not too late to participate in Wood River Youth Wrestling. Interested wrestlers in kindergarten through the sixth grade are invited to come to the wrestling room at Hailey’s Wood River High School on Mondays or Wednesdays from 6:15-7:15 p.m. to register.
Registration is $40 for the season (including t-shirt). Wrestlers must provide proof of insurance. Tournaments are scheduled in March. Contact Aaron Stern 721-7125 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jiu-Jitsu seminar Feb. 16 in Bellevue
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Master Fabio Santos is coming to the Wood River Valley Sunday, Feb. 16 to teach a one day Jiu-Jitsu seminar. This seminar is open to anyone who is interested in learning Jiu-Jitsu techniques or self-defense. Fabio Santos is one of the highest ranked Jiu-Jitsu instructors in the world. Sunday’s seminar from 5-7 p.m. will be held at USA Grappling Academy in Bellevue. Cost is $40 adults $40 and $20 kids. Call Lee Anderson 720-3519.
New snow for Papoose Club Nordic Cup
Forty-one young cross-country skiers celebrated the new snow while participating in the eighth annual Papoose Club Nordic Cup event under sunny skies on Sunday at Sun Valley Nordic Center.
The free event, introduced in 2007 as a Nordic complement to the Papoose Cup Kindercup alpine races for kids, was for kids in classes from ages 5-and-under to 12-13. The Papoose Club Kindercup is set for Sunday, March 9 at Dollar Mountain.
Nordic Cup results by class follow, with times in minutes and seconds:
· Girls’ ages 12-13, skate: 1—Madeline Austin 6:47. 2—Karsyn Gerringa 8:57.
· Boys’ 12-13, skate: 1—Johnny Hagenbuch 5:00. 2—Luke Dean 5:34. 3—Aiden Burchmore 6:07. 4—Carter Gerringa 7:08.
· Girls’ 10-11, skate: 1—Kate Horowitz 6:05. 2—Luci Ludwig 6:15. 3—Willa Laski 7:13. 4—Noelle LaFleur 7:33. 5—Maya Lutz 7:49. 6—Peri O’Connell 10:00.
· Boys’ 10-11, skate: 1—Kai Nelson 5:54. 2—Oliver Wiedemann 6:05. 3—Sebi Radl-Jones 6:22. 4—Alex Shafer 6:32. 5—Skylar Maguire 7:06. 6—Fisher Gardner 7:26.
· Girls’ 8-9, skate: 1—Jodie Maguire 4:22. 2—Anika Vandenburgh 4:35. 3—Gretel Huss 4:37. 4—Gina Greenberg 4:50. 5—Hazel Ludwig 6:03. 6—Lilia Page 6:07. 7—Ruby Gardner 6:29.
· Boys’ 7-8, skate: 1—Enzo Lutz 4:18. 2—Luca Mathieu 5:01. 3—Aidan Long 5:14. 4—West Gardner 5:16. 5—Nate Dabney 5:46.
· Girls’ 6-7: 1—Lucy Lamoureux 3:56. 2—Sarah Olsen 5:45. 3—Brookie Olsen 7:10.
· Boys’ 6-7: 1—Ozzy O’Connell 2:14. 2—Riley Siegel 8:09.
· Girls’ 5-and-under, classic: 1—Torin Vandenbergh 1:41. 2—Josephine Renner 2:53.
· Boys’ 5-and-under, classic: 1—Levi Renner 1:50. 2—William Hubbard 2:23. 3—Duncan Fryberger 2:44. 4—Bailey Kurtz 6:44.