Snowbird’s Wilbere Ridge Race Hill hosted U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) Intermountain Cup U-18 and over slalom qualifiers in Utah Saturday, Feb. 8.
There were 19 Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation racers in the field of 75 from Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.
Safety concerns prompted the jury to cancel Sunday’s racing in the U18+ giant slalom qualifier at Snowbasin, Utah. The jury decided not to race because of safety concerns. Both nighttime and daytime temperatures at Snowbasin were unseasonably warm over the weekend.
Coaches Nate Schwing, Erika Hogan, Tyler Chandler and Pat Savaria accompanied the SVSEF traveling contingent. Top SVSEF class placings for the Snowbird slaloms were:
· U-21 men: 8—Ben Kanellitsas.
· U-21 women: 2—Mackenzie Bachmeier and Amanda Stelling. 4—Linnea Baysinger. 5—Karina Schwartznau.
· U-18 men: 6—Tanner Josey and Stockton Troyer. 7—Austin Savaria. 10—Taylor Cooper. 12—Jay Fitzgerald. 13—Emmett Say. 14—Montana Kurahara. 16—Griffin Curtis. 18—Hunter Kern. Also racing were Tanner Riedel and Trenor Gould.
· U-18 women: 3—Jordan Fitzgerald. 5—Madison Milgard. 6—Olivia Wentzell.
North Series at Brundage Mountain
Brundage Mountain near McCall got a good amount of snow Saturday on the first day of the Intermountain Division North Series (ages 7-11) slalom qualifying races for the U-12 through U-8 age classes.
There were 30 SVSEF racers in the 132-racer field over two days of gate racing on Griz/Badger ski runs. Earning podium finishes in their classes were Sage Curtis (two 3rds), Buey Grossman, Charlie Snyder, Saba Grossman, Logan Lindstrom and Tatum Minor. Top SVSEF class finishes:
· U-12 boys: 2—Buey Grossman. 3—Charlie Snyder. 5—Fletcher Stumph. 7—Josh Blackburn. 8—Max Moss. 9—Ridley Lindstrom. 10—Alexander Daves. 13—Nathan Gowe. 15—Jett Carruth and William DeWolfe. 16—Ethan Marx. Also racing was Ryder Sarchett.
· U-12 girls: 3—Sage Curtis. 6—Marit Kaiser. 7—Anhwei Kirk. 9—Emma MacGuffie. 13—Emma Madsen. 16—Sage Holter. 18—Lola Street. 30—Chase Ormiston. 31—Julia Ott. 32—Paige Madsen.
· U-10 boys: 7—Leo Molter. 9—Colin MacGuffie.
· U-10 girls: 2—Saba Grossman and Logan Lindstrom. 3—Tatum Minor. 5—Goldie Kirk. 6—Hannah Ferris. Also racing was Jessica Blackburn.