Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bellevue blaze caused by kitchen mishap

Cat dies but occupants not injured


By TONY EVANS
Express Staff Writer

Used kitchen utensils left beside an electric range that had been left on during the day reportedly caused a fire Saturday at 716 Walnut St. in Bellevue. The Bellevue Fire Department responded to the fire at about 4:30 p.m.

Bellevue Fire Chief Greg Beaver said a couple and two children who live in the house returned home from skiing to find their home filled with dense smoke, and immediately called 911.

“Everyone was safe,” Beaver said. “But a cat belonging to the family was lost due to smoke inhalation.”

Beaver said both the husband and wife have family in town, so they will not be without shelter.

“The kitchen was destroyed and the rest of the house was smoked up pretty good, but there was no structural damage. They will be able to reoccupy the house eventually,” he said.

A total of 14 firefighters and three engines from the Bellevue and Hailey fire departments and Wood River Fire & Rescue responded to the fire. Bellevue firefighter Skylar Vollmer was the first to respond and served as incident commander. 

“He was there within a couple of minutes, gave it a good size-up and directed the other personnel,” Beaver said. “It was his first time and he did a bang-up job.”

Beaver said he is thankful that the blaze happened in winter when no windows were open.

“If it had been summer with windows open, the access to oxygen could have caused it to blow up real quick,” he said.

Beaver said people should take heed from the incident and make sure all cooking elements and appliances are turned off before they leave home, including coffee pots and clothes dryers.

“Dryers tend to catch on fire when no one is home, due to a buildup of lint,” he said.

Tony Evans: tevans@mtexpress.com

 

 

 




About Comments

Comments with content that seeks to incite or inflame may be removed.

Comments that are in ALL CAPS may be removed.

Comments that are off-topic or that include profanity or personal attacks, libelous or other inappropriate material may be removed from the site. Entries that are unsigned or contain signatures by someone other than the actual author may be removed. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or any other policies governing this site. Use of this system denotes full acceptance of these conditions. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

The comments below are from the readers of mtexpress.com and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing, Inc.

You may flag individual comments. You may also report an inappropriate or offensive comment by clicking here.

Flagging Comments: Flagging a comment tells a site administrator that a comment is inappropriate. You can find the flag option by pointing the mouse over the comment and clicking the 'Flag' link.

Flagging a comment is only counted once per person, and you won't need to do it multiple times.

Proper Flagging Guidelines: Every site has a different commenting policy - be sure to review the policy for this site before flagging comments. In general these types of comments should be flagged:

  • Spam
  • Ones violating this site's commenting policy
  • Clearly unrelated
  • Personal attacks on others
Comments should not be flagged for:
  • Disagreeing with the content
  • Being in a dispute with the commenter

Popular Comment Threads





Copyright © 2014 Express Publishing Inc.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy
All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Express Publishing Inc. is prohibited. 

The Idaho Mountain Express is distributed free to residents and guests throughout the Sun Valley, Idaho resort area community. Subscribers to the Idaho Mountain Express will read these stories and others in this week's issue.