Senior Tommy Bailey (41-9 season) captured sixth place in the 152-pound class Saturday to lead the 11-wrestler Wood River High School wrestling team during the 56th annual State 4A Wrestling Championships sponsored by the Idaho High School Activities Association at Holt Arena in Pocatello.
Making his fourth trip to state, Bailey won his first two matches by 1:41 pin and 6-3 decision and then lost a heartbreaking 1-0 semi-final decision to eventual 152-pound champion Jacom Stacey (30-8), a sophomore from Bonneville of Idaho Falls. Bailey injury-defaulted his final match.
Two other Wolverines injury-defaulted from the two-day tournament—seniors Chris Carnes (1-2 state, 35-11 season) at 285 and Storm Anderson (1-2 state, 36-6 season) at 170.
Yet junior Cooper Bailey (26-13) went 2-2 for four team points at 132 pounds and freshman Ryan Anderson (32-11) was 2-2 for four points at 106. Storm Anderson, Tim Boyle (25-21 at 120), Cooper Bailey and Jared Anderson (19-16 at 132) were making their third trips to the state tournament.
Wood River went 8-23 in its matches at state and tied Jerome for 18th place out of 24 4A schools with 24 points. Columbia of Nampa, the State 4A team champion from 2009-11 and second to Kuna last year, out-pointed Kuna this time around by a 306.5 to 267 count.
Centennial of Boise won its first State 5A team title since 2007 by a 318.5 to 232 margin over Post Falls. Weiser won its second straight 3A championship and fifth overall 227.5 to 182.5 over Fruitland. And Declo captured its third consecutive 2A team title and fourth overall 176.5 to 156 over Melba.
Check today’s Web site for full Wolverine state results.
- 98 pounds—WRHS freshman Colby Castle (0-2 state, 13-18 season). Mykel Ostrom (Caldwell) won 1:00 pin over Castle (WR); Dexter Parker (Century) won 2:18 pin over Castle (WR).
- 106—Freshman Ryan Anderson (2-2 state, 4 team points, 32-11 season). Justin Wright (Lakeland) won 5-4 over Ryan Anderson (WR); Ryan Anderson (WR) won 2:15 pin over Victor Velasquez (Canyon Ridge) 2:15; Ryan Anderson (WR) won 11-6 over Scott Danner (Nampa) 11-6; Kieton Keller (Preston) won 10-2 major decision over Ryan Anderson (WR).
- 113—Junior Kaleb Guisasola (0-2 state, 21-20 season). Tyson Hendricks (Lakeland) won 0:48 pin over Guisasola (WR); Coby Contreras (Kuna) won 13-11 over Guisasola (WR).
- 120—Senior Tim Boyle (0-2 state, 25-21 season). Wyatt Bingham (Minico) won 1:20 pin over Boyle (WR); Devin Porter (Preston) won 2:06 pin over Boyle (WR).
- 132—Senior Jared Anderson (0-2 state, 19-16 season). Thomas Gonzalez (Skyview) won 14-11 over Jared Anderson (WR); Alex LeBlanc (Canyon Ridge) won 10-2 major decision over Jared Anderson (WR).
- 132—Junior Cooper Bailey (2-2 state, 4 team points, 26-13 season). Cooper Bailey (WR) won 9-3 over Dusty Jones (Kuna); Kam Reddish (Columbia) won 3:35 pin over Cooper Bailey (WR); Cooper Bailey (WR) won 9-1 major decision over Alex LeBlanc (Canyon Ridge); Chase Lemons (Bonneville) won 9-3 over Cooper Bailey (WR).
- 152—Senior Tom Bailey (2-3 state, 41-9 season, 9 team points, 6th place). Tom Bailey (WR) won 1:41 pin over Angus Roeper (Emmett); Tom Bailey (WR) won 6-3 over Brooks Ney (Caldwell); Jacom Stacey (Bonneville) won 1-0 over Tom Bailey (WR); Tanner Beck (Columbia) won by injury default over Tom Bailey (WR); Ruben Pulido (Blackfoot) won by injury default over Tom Bailey (WR).
- 170—Senior Storm Anderson (1-2 state, 36-6 season, 3 team points). Storm Anderson (WR) won 13-2 major decision over Erick Silva (Preston); Killian Estes (Lakeland) won injury default over Storm Anderson (WR); Braxton Egbert (Bonneville) won injury default over Storm Anderson (WR).
- 182—Sophomore Jackson Toothman (0-2 state, 17-19 season). Joseph Maicke (Jerome) won 1:17 pin over Toothman (WR); Chris Lampkins (Caldwell) won 0:54 pin over Toothman (WR).
- 195—Senior Thomas Heiden (0-2 state, 33-8 season). Landon Hatch (Twin Falls) won 3:52 pin over Heiden (WR); Josh Deal (Mountain Home) won 5-3 overtime over Heiden (WR).
- 285—Senior Chris Carnes (1-2 state, 4 team points, 35-11 season). Carnes (WR) won 2:45 pin over Lucio Carrillo (Jerome); Jayden Vassell (Moscow) won 3-1 overtime over Carnes (WR); Jonathan Littlejohn (Blackfoot) won by injury default over Carnes (WR).