Coming off a terrific series of Junior National qualifying races Feb. 16-17 at Boise’s Bogus Basin, the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation’s Junior Nordic ski team and its coaches are excited about more competition lying ahead in Alaska.
Based on its results at Bozeman, Mt. and at Soldier Hollow, Utah during January, and last weekend at Bogus Basin, the SVSEF ended up qualifying 16 of its skiers for the 2013 USSA Junior Nationals March 10-16 at Fairbanks, Alaska.
Two SVSEF skiers, J1 Laurel Fiddler, 17, and Older Junior Kevin Bolger, 19, had previously qualified for the Intermountain Division team headed to Fairbanks during January’s U.S. National competition at Soldier Hollow.
The six SVSEF female Junior National qualifiers are Fiddler, Maggie Williams and Katie Feldman in J1 (ages 16-17); Older Juniors (18-19) Jesse Knori and Maranda Stopol; and first-year J2 (14-15) Annika Landis. First alternate is J2 Grace Gorham.
There were 10 SVSEF male racers making the Fairbanks grade: Older Juniors Bolger, Luke Costley and Nick Lovett; J1s Zach Lindahl, Jake Adicoff and Cole Greenberg; and the strong J2 group of Zach Williams, Peter Wolter, Tom Gillespie and Eli Jensen. First alternate is J2 Danny Graves.
Head coach Rick Kapala was pleased with many of the Bogus Basin performances on a weekend that offered difficult waxing challenges, for instance:
- A 1-2-3 sweep of Saturday’s 10-kilometer women’s classic race with winner Knori, Fiddler and Maggie Williams;
- Zach Lindahl’s third place in Saturday’s men’s 10k classic;
- First-year J1 Cole Greenberg grabbing the final spot with 15th in 10k classic and 7th (4th J1) in Sunday’s 5k skate;
- J2 Zach Williams winning Saturday’s 5k classic event; and J2 Eli Jensen dialing it up to make the JN team with 6th at 5k classic and 5th in 5k skate;
There were 33 SVSEF racers in the field of 168 at Bogus Basin. SVSEF class placings for Saturday’s classic races and Sunday’s freestyle at Bogus:
- OJ girls (ages 18-19). 10k: 1—Jesse Knori 34:30. 5—Kaitlyn Landis 44:43.
- OJ/J1 boys, 10k: 2—Zach Lindahl 30:29. 5—Luke Costley 30:40. 7—Ketchum Wilt 32:18.
- J1 girls (16-17), 10k: 1—Laurel Fiddler 34:33. 2—Maggie Williams 35:07. 12—Katie Feldman 38:33. 13—Sarah Williams 38:56. 16—Haley Montgomery 40:22. 18—Brooke Lawrence 42:47. 21—Cheyanne Stopol 45:25. DNF—Sophia DeWolfe.
- J1 boys, 10k: 5—Jake Adicoff 30:54. 10—Cole Greenberg 31:04. 11—Stephen Pfeiffer 31:13. 12—Nate Thomas 31:40. 17—Nathan Nasvik 33:14.
- J2 girls (14-15), 5k: 7—Annika Landis 17:48. 11—Grace Gorham 18:27. 13—Emily Siegel 19:28. 15—Loni Unser 19:43. 24—Sophia Deklotz 24:45.
( J2 boys, 5k: 1—Zach Williams 14:19. 6—Eli Jensen 14:47. 9—Danny Graves 15:04. 13—Ben Brunelle 15:29. 15—Tom Gillespie 15:35. 18—Jacob Truxal 16:08. 21—Carter Ros 16:17. 23—Lukas DeWolfe 17:01. 29—Derek Thompson 18:07.
- J3 boys, 3k: 4—Taylor Koth 11:35.
- OJ girls. 5k: 4—Kaitlyn Landis 17:04.
- OJ/J1 boys, 5k: 1—Nick Lovett 12:44. 6—Luke Costley 13:33. 7—Zach Lindahl 13:43.
- J1 girls, 5k: 2—Lauren Fiddler 14:29. 6—Maggie Williams 14:57. 9—Katie Feldman 15:36. 16—Haley Montgomery 16:32. 18—Sarah Williams 17:00. 19—Brooke Lawrence 17:16. 22—Sophia DeWolfe 18:14. 23—Cheyanne Stopol 18:26.
- J1 boys, 10k: 4—Cole Greenberg 12:54. 8—Jake Adicoff 13:19. 9—Stephen Pfeiffer 13:22. 10—Nathan Nasvik 13:32. 14—Nate Thomas 13:42.
- J2 girls (14-15), 5k: 6—Annika Landis 15:48. 9—Grace Gorham 16:23. 15—Loni Unser 17:26. 23—Sophia Deklotz 21:19.
- J2 boys, 5k: 4—Zach Williams 13:29. 5—Eli Jensen 13:30. 7—Danny Graves 13:37. 9—Peter Wolter 14:03. 17—Jacob Truxal 14:31. 20—Ben Brunelle 14:35. 21—Tom Gillespie 14:37. 22—Carter Ros 14:41. 27—Lukas DeWolfe 15:24. 33—Derek Thompson 16:40.
- J3 girls, 3k: 7—Ella Wolter 12:00.
- J3 boys, 3k: 4—Taylor Koth 10:25.