Coach Shawn Huntington’s Wood River High School wrestling team landed three top seeds going into today’s six-team Great Basin Conference tournament starting at 10 a.m. at Canyon Ridge High School in Twin Falls.
Today’s tournament will qualify four wrestlers from the conference in each of 15 weight classes for the 56th annual State 4A Wrestling Championships sponsored by the Idaho High School Activities Association Friday and Saturday, Feb. 22-23 at Holt Arena in Pocatello.
Seniors Storm Anderson (170 pounds), Thomas Heiden (195) and Chris Carnes (285) are seeded first in their weight classes. Second seeds are senior Tommy Bailey at 152, junior Cooper Bailey at 132 and freshman Ryan Anderson at 106 pounds.
Senior Tim Boyle is seeded third at 120, while junior Kyle Clark (160) and freshman Colby Castle (98) are seeded fourth. Seeded fifth are senior Jared Anderson at 132, plus juniors Kaleb Guisasola at 113 pounds and Jackson Toothman at 182.
Wood River, having qualified seven of its 15 district wrestlers for state last year, is aiming for a higher team finish than its 155-point fifth-place finish last year. In 2012 Minico of Rupert (343 points) won the conference meet over Jerome (316), host Canyon Ridge (236) and Twin Falls (211).
Cooper Bailey (120) and Heiden (182) won district titles for Wood River in 2012.
Last week, Wood River (17-6 dual meets, 2-3 conference) wrapped up its dual meet season with “Senior Night” home wins over Jerome 53-30 and Gooding 43-42 on Thursday, followed by a 45-35 loss to Minico in Rupert Saturday.
Posting first-round pins against Jerome were Boyle, Cooper Bailey, Tommy Bailey, Heiden and Carnes. Toothman held on for a 4-3 decision in a hard-fought 182-pound bout, Jared Anderson rallied for a 10-7 win in a back-and-forth match and Storm Anderson earned a 15-0 technical fall.
Wood River’s five first-round pins (Ryan Anderson, Boyle, Clark, Storm Anderson, Heiden) turned out to be the deciding factor in a close 43-42 victory over Gooding.
Huntington said about Thursday’s “Senior Night” sweep, “I was really proud of the team, they wrestled well. Thanks to everyone who came out to see them. Every senior that wrestled earned at least one win. It was a fun evening.”
On Saturday at Minico, pins by Storm Anderson, Carnes and junior Jake Halopoff plus a Heiden technical fall gave Wood River 23 points against the Spartans. Two forfeits made it 35, but Minico prevailed by a 45-35 team decision.
Check today’s Express Web site for complete scores from the Jerome, Gooding and Minico dual meets.
Wood River 53, Jerome 30
· 98 pounds—Austin Pierson (J) won by forfeit.
· 106 pounds—Ryan Anderson (WR) won by forfeit.
· 113 pounds—Riley Thacker (J) won by forfeit.
· 120 pounds—Tim Boyle (WR) pin 1:54 Hugo Lara (J).
· 126 pounds—Julia Jara (J) won by forfeit.
· 132 pounds—Cooper Bailey (WR) pin 1:23 Austin Bobrowski (J).
· 138 pounds—Jared Anderson (WR) won by 10-7 decision over Tanner Couch (J).
· 145 pounds—Cesar Castellanos (J) pin 3:03 Jake Halopoff (WR).
· 152 pounds—Tom Bailey (WR) pin 1:51 Dan Hilaredes (J).
· 160 pounds—Kyle Clark (WR) pin 1:17 Adam Brown (J).
· 170 pounds—Storm Anderson (WR) won 15-0 technical fall over Bruno Garay (J).
· 182 pounds—Jackson Toothman (WR) won 4-3 decision over Keegan Jones (J).
· 195 pounds—Thomas Heiden (WR) pin 1:14 Bryce Embretson (J).
· 220 pounds—Austin Gilbert (J) won by forfeit.
· 285 pounds—Chris Carnes (WR) pin 1:01 Lucio Carillo (J).
In the only exhibition match, Jerome’s Joseph Bailey won by pin over Wood River’s Riley Beck.
The meet began with the 160-pound class and ended with the 152-pound match.
Wood River 43, Gooding 42
· 98 pounds—Colby Castle (WR) won by forfeit.
· 106 pounds—Ryan Anderson (WR) pin 0:49 Tristan Kaneaster (G).
· 113 pounds—Double forfeit.
· 120 pounds—Tim Boyle (WR) pin 1:00 Santos Gutierrez (G).
· 126 pounds—Spencer Ferguson (G) won by forfeit.
· 132 pounds—Cooper Bailey (WR) won by forfeit.
· 138 pounds—Junior Gutierrez (G) pin Jared Anderson (WR).
· 145 pounds—Cody Harris (G) pin 2:20 Jake Halopoff (WR).
· 152 pounds—Torin Brunson (G) won by forfeit.
· 160 pounds—Kyle Clark (WR) pin 0:56 Tristan Adamson (G).
· 170 pounds—Storm Anderson (WR) pin 0:49 Kaden Barrus (G).
· 182 pounds—Sam Dalton (G) pin 0:51 Jackson Toothman (WR).
· 195 pounds—Thomas Heiden (WR) pin 1:25 Landunn Koyle (G).
· 220 pounds—Ty Faulkner (G) won by forfeit.
· 285 pounds—Cole McGinnis (G) pin 1:13 Chris Carnes (WR).
The outcome of the dual match score went to a tiebreaker after the teams ended up tied 42-42 after 15 weight classes. Wood River had one team point added because the Wolverines were 5-4 in the matches actually wrestled.
The meet began with the 182-pound class and finished with the 170-pound match.
Minico 45, Wood River 35
· 98 pounds—Colby Castle (WR) won by forfeit.
· 106 pounds—Blake Gilchrist (M) won by 5-3 decision over Ryan Anderson (WR).
· 113 pounds—Kaleb Guisasola (WR) won by forfeit.
· 120 pounds—Wyatt Bingham (M) pin 2:31 Tim Boyle (WR).
· 126 pounds—Allan Jeppsen (M) won by forfeit.
· 132 pounds—Isaiah Alvarado (M) pin 0:42 Cooper Bailey (WR).
· 138 pounds—Austin Gilchrist (M) pin 2:35 Jared Anderson (WR).
· 145 pounds—Jake Halopoff (WR) pin 0:56 Justin Johnson (M).
· 152 pounds—Treg Hansen (M) won by forfeit.
· 160 pounds—Wyatt Bedke (M) pin 1:41 Kyle Clark (WR).
· 170 pounds—Storm Anderson (WR) pin 5:36 TJ Strunk (M).
· 182 pounds—Matthew Gil (M) pin 5:47 Jackson Toothman (WR).
· 195 pounds—Thomas Heiden (WR) won 16-0 technical fall over Jesse Taylor (M).
· 220 pounds—Double forfeit.
· 285 pounds—Chris Carnes (WR) pin 3:14 Daniel Rangel (M).
The meet began with the 126-pound class and finished with the 120-pound match.