Women’s 10-kilometer classic race winner Maggie Williams and teammate Nicholas Lovett, fourth in the men’s field, led the way for 38 Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation cross-country skiers during the second of three Junior National qualifying races in Utah last weekend.
In Saturday’s 10k women’s race for 93 racers, the 17-year-old Williams (31:55) pulled away for a seven-second triumph over Mount Bachelor’s Emily Hyde, 16. In fourth place was SVSEF’s Laurel Fiddler (32:04), while Older Junior runner-up Jesse Knori (32:20) finished seventh overall.
A winner in the Bozeman (Mt.) 10k freestyle qualifier Jan. 20 at Bohart Ranch, the 18-year-old Lovett further established his credentials for Junior Nationals by finishing fourth of 115 men in Saturday’s Men’s 15k race at Soldier Hollow, Utah. Lovett (42:04) was only 12 seconds behind race winner Evan Weinman, 17, of Steamboat Springs, Co. (41:52).
On Friday, five SVSEF racers made it through qualifying, the quarterfinals and semi-finals and finished in either the “A Final” or “B Final” of the sprint heats at Soldier Hollow.
Topping the list were Fiddler (5th in the OJ/J1 Women’s A Final) and Thomas Gillespie (5th in the J2 A Final).
Lovett won the OJ/J1 B Final and placed seventh overall in the sprint. Placing 1-3 in the OJ/J1 B Final were Maranda Stopol (7th overall) and Jesse Knori (9th overall).
Other SVSEF quarterfinalists were Katie Feldman, Maggie Williams, Jake Adicoff, Stephen Pfeiffer, Luke Costley, Zach Lindahl, Danny Graves, Zach Williams, Peter Wolter and Annika Landis.
It was a big field, with 601 skiers ages 6-19 in the classic race and 393 in the sprints. The final Junior National qualifier is Feb. 16-17 at Bogus Basin near Boise. Junior Nationals are March 10-16 at Fairbanks, Alaska.
SVSEF class placings for Saturday’s classic races:
· OJ girls (ages 18-19). 10k: 2—Jesse Knori 32:20 (7th overall). 5—Maranda Stopol 33:09. 10—Kaitlyn Landis 39:20.
· OJ/J1 boys, 15k: 3—Nicholas Lovett 42:04 (4th overall). 8—Zach Lindahl 43:49. 13—Luke Costley 45:01.
· J1 girls (16-17), 10k: 1—Maggie Williams 31:55 (1st overall). 4—Laurel Fiddler 32:04 (4th overall). 17—Katie Feldman 35:14. 22—Haley Montgomery 35:44. 36—Sarah Williams 38:06. 56—Cheyanne Stopol 44:11 (90 finishers).
· J1 boys, 15k: 7—Jake Adicoff 43:33 (12th overall). 11—Cole Greenberg 43:42. 22—Stephen Pfeiffer 45:53. 24—Nate Thomas 46:21. 28—Nathan Nasvik 46:35. DNF—Ketchum Wilt (110 finishers).
· J2 girls (14-15), 5k: 23—Annika Landis 17:45. 56—Loni Unser 19:39. 61—Emily Siegel 20:46. 75—Sophia DeKlotz 24:05 (87 finishers).
· J2 boys, 5k: 3—Zach Williams 13:40. 9—Peter Wolter 14:02. 11—Danny Graves 14:11. 12—Thomas Gillespie 14:23. 15—Eli Jensen 14:33. 25—Ben Brunelle 14:53. 35—River Vorse 15:19. 42—Jacob Truxal 15:43. 47—Carter Ros 15:59. (84 finishers).
· J3 girls (12-13), 3k: 32—Kirsys Campbell 13:41.
· J3 boys, 3k: 16—Cooper Roquet 11:02. DNF—Keene Morawitz.
· Novice Women, 3k: 1—Sophia DeWolfe 12:01
· Novice Men, 3k: 3—Max Tanous 11:28.
· J4 girls (10-11), 2k: 5—Ella Wolter 6:59. 13—Katherine Estep 7:40.