|Wood River senior Storm Anderson won the Challis Invi-tational 170-pound title Satur-day, Feb. 2.
Express photo by Roland Lane
Wood River High School senior Storm Anderson didn’t waste any time capturing the 170-pound championship of the Challis Invitational prep wrestling tournament Saturday.
Anderson won all his three matches by first-round pin including a 1:42 pin over senior Braxton Egbert from Bonneville of Idaho Falls in the 170-pound championship match.
He posted the best result of 11 Wolverine wrestlers competing in the two-day, 15-team tournament. In all, the Wolverines won 25 of their 42 matches and placed eight of their wrestlers in the top five.
Coach Shawn Huntington said, “Last week was difficult dealing with sickness and injuries. We left three varsity starters at home. But the wrestlers we took to Challis wrestled really well. Even the matches we lost I felt like we fought better than we’ve fought all year.”
Taking second place at 106 was freshman Ryan Anderson. Seniors Tommy Bailey (4-2, 3 decisions, 1 pin) and Chris Carnes finished third at 152 and 285 pounds, respectively.
Fourth-place matmen were Tim Boyle and Kyle Clark. Kaleb Guisasola (4-2) had three first-round pins and an 18-0 technical fall at 113 for fifth place. Jackson Toothman also placed fifth at 182 pounds.
Wood River finishes up its Great Basin Conference slate this week with three duals—Tuesday against Canyon Ridge in Twin Falls, Thursday at home against Jerome and Gooding, and Saturday in Rupert against Minico at 1 p.m.
Thursday is “Senior Night” with Wood River meeting Jerome at 5 p.m., followed by the matches with Gooding.
Check today’s Web site for complete scores from the Challis tournament.
· Team standings (15 teams): Ririe 219.5, Bonneville of Idaho Falls 198, Nyssa, Ore. 188.5, Canyon Ridge of Twin Falls 170.5, Challis 167.5, Wood River of Hailey 148, Burley 100.5, West Jefferson of Terreton 99, Prairie 83, Salmon 73, Bonneville JV 68, Minico of Rupert 54, Glenns Ferry 51, Wendell 48, Grangeville 16.5.
· 98 pounds—Colby Castle (0-2) did not place: Radney Smith (Ririe) won 2:43 pin over Castle (WR); Jeronimo Rangel (Bonneville) won 3:22 pin over Castle (WR).
· 106 pounds—Ryan Anderson (2-1) second place: Ryan Anderson (WR) won 2:59 pin over Call Nelson (Ririe); Ryan Anderson (WR) won by 12-10 decision over Casey Burley (Salmon); Championship—Kevin Cristser-Mora (Challis) won by 7-0 decision over Ryan Anderson (WR).
· 113 pounds—Kaleb Guisasola (4-2) fifth place: Guisasola (Wood River) won by 1:11 pin over Derek Criddle (Bonneville); Samuel Belnap (West Jefferson) won by 12-6 decision over Guisasola (WR); Guisasola (WR) won by 1:57 pin over Zach King (Bonneville); Guisasola (WR) won by 18-0 tech fall over Sebastian Salazar (Challis); Billy Godfrey (Salmon) won by 14-2 major decision over Guisasola (WR); Guisasola (WR) won by 1:20 pin over Samuel Belnap (West Jefferson).
· 120 pounds—Tim Boyle (3-2) fourth place: Boyle (WR) won by 0:57 pin over Jared Anderson (Bonneville); Boyle (WR) won by 11-7 decision over Dally Ratcliff (Prairie); Omar DeLaCerda (Nyssa) won by 2:01 pin over Boyle (WR); Boyle (WR) won by 2:36 pin over Johny Rojo (Bonneville); Allan Jeppsen (Minico) won by 1:33 pin over Boyle (WR).
· 132 pounds—Riley Beck (1-2) did not place: Hunter McWilliams (Prairie) won by 1:08 pin over Beck (WR); Beck (WR) won by 3:38 pin over Nick Arellano (Bonneville); Josh Patteson (Bonneville) won by pin over Beck (WR).
· 145 pounds—Jake Halopoff (0-2) did not place: Kade Perrin (Prairie) won by 1:08 pin over Halopoff (WR); Jose Lopez (Nyssa) won by 4:56 pin over Halopoff (WR).
· 152 pounds—Tom Bailey (4-1) third place: Tom Bailey (WR) won by 0:42 pin over Kyle Boese (Salmon); Tom Bailey (WR) won by 22-7 tech fall over Eric Bryan (Canyon Ridge); Jacom Stacey (Bonneville) won by 5-0 decision over Tom Bailey (WR); Tom Bailey (WR) won by 11-3 major decision over Nick Smith (Grangeville); Tom Bailey (WR) won by 10-5 decision over Daniel Sanchez (Nyssa).
· 160 pounds—Kyle Clark (3-2) fourth place: Clark (WR) won by 1:44 pin over Gerardo Mendez (Nyssa); Clark (WR) won by 0:38 pin over Garret Gonzales (Canyon Ridge); Ryker Fenstermaker (Burley) won by 2:18 pin over Clark (WR); Clark (WR) won by 2:53 pin over Porter Klepich (Bonneville); Caleb Ball (West Jefferson) won by 2:53 pin over Clark (WR).
· 170 pounds—Storm Anderson (3-0) first place: Storm Anderson (WR) won by 0:11 pin over Dallas Mort (Minico); Storm Anderson (WR) won by 1:36 pin over Will Jenkins (Bonneville); Championship, Storm Anderson (WR) won by 1:42 pin over Braxton Egbert (Bonneville).
· 182 pounds—Jackson Toothman (2-2) fifth place: Brandon Contreres (Bonneville) won by 9-2 decision over Toothman (WR); Toothman (WR) won by 3:37 pin over Ryan Bidwell (Wendell); Silvestre Quiroz (Burley) won by 1:55 pin over Toothman (WR); Toothman (WR) won by injury default over Aaron O`Dell (Canyon Ridge).
· 285 pounds—Chris Carnes (3-1) third place: Chris Carnes (WR) won by 0:46 pin over Chris Liggett (Burley); Jordan Crist (Canyon Ridge) won by 1:52 pin over Carnes (WR); Carnes (WR) won by 7-4 decision over Jack Riggs (Glenns Ferry); Carnes (WR) won by 10-4 decision over Stephen Boone (Bonneville).