The nonprofit Idaho Heritage Trust has awarded more than $163,680 in grants to preserve historic Idaho in the coming year. About $20,000 of that funding will go toward projects in the Wood River Valley and Stanley.
The Emmanuel Episcopal Church on Croy Street in Hailey will receive $12,500 for restoration of three stained glass windows. The windows will be disassembled, cleaned, releaded, repaired, reinforced and repainted by professional stained glass restorer David Schlicker at his Portland studio during the next year.
Built in 1885 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Emmanuel Church has 16 stained glass windows considered to be some of the most distinctive in the Pacific Northwest by the Heritage Trust.
“The Grisaille technique of painting ornamental designs on background glass was developed in the Middle Ages and became a European tradition, although it was featured exclusively on noncolored glass. These windows are unique in that the artisans used this technique on colored glass,” states a press release from the Idaho Heritage Trust. “The windows memorialize many prominent early day citizens of the Wood River Valley, including Bishop Daniel Sylvester Tuttle, who served as Episcopal bishop for Idaho, Montana and Utah from 1867 until 1876. After visiting Hailey in 1881, Tuttle purchased the property for the Emmanuel Church and officiated at its consecration.”
The Community Library in Ketchum will receive $2,500 from the Heritage Trust for restoration and preservation of the Wood River Journal photograph collection. The collection of staff photographs spans nearly a century from the early 1900s to 1998 and covers news and community events in the Wood River Valley.
The regional history department of the Community Library was established in 1982.
“The department has been collecting, preserving, interpreting and making accessible the oral histories, documents, photographs and other materials of the history of Idaho and Wood River Valley,” the Heritage Trust press release States.
Kathleen Cameron of Cameron MultiMedia will do the photo restoration. Cameron recently completed the preservation and restoration of the Union Pacific color photograph collection.
The Stanley Museum in Stanley will receive $5,000 from the Heritage Trust for structural repairs to the ranger’s residence and office.
Originally the Valley Creek Ranger Station, built in 1933, the Stanley Museum is owned by the U.S. Forest Service and operated by the Sawtooth Interpretive & Historical Association.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings, the museum compound consists of four historic buildings: the ranger's residence/office, the ice house/toolshed, the barn and a second office building and garage.
The structural issues were identified by Dunn Associates, consulting structural engineers. The work will include repairs to the foundation, floor, ceilings and walls and is expected to extend the useful life of the ranger’s house by 30 years, states the Heritage Trust press release. Work will be contracted this spring/summer.
Tony Evans: email@example.com